CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 01, 2007

Off to a good start. . .

Welcome to October! October is one of my favorite months, largely because it begins the obvious change from summer to fall. While it's harder to recognize the differing seasons here, in my mind it is preparation time. I love fall. The bright colors, distinct biting chill, and the promise of impending death and life. So beautiful, and poetic! I know that fall has usually marked times of struggle and death in my own life, that always have a time of new life at some point. I am excited to see the results of this fall in my life.

Both the week and the month were welcomed in by a great Monday. I woke up on time today with the hope of getting my laundry and shower in before starting my office hours at 8:30. Both things were accomplished with ease. My RA one on ones today went very well and we had great conversations about both work and life. The RA class that I co-teach was canceled by the other teacher, as was my 1:30 meeting. Therefore, I spent 8:30-1:30 in the office and then had the rest of the afternoon off.

GLORIOUS.

I am not afraid to take advantage of an afternoon off. So, today I went shopping at the Kohls that just opened yesterday. I found a few great purchases (including two pair of great pumps that will be perfect with the suits I have). I was hoping to find my more options of shirts to wear under my suits, but I didn't find much. I did find some great ones for going out or the office, depending on the pants they are worn with. Oh what a great day for shopping.

Now I'm sitting at my favorite BCS coffee shop with the hope of knocking out a lot of work that's due in the next couple of weeks. In addition to the usual major concepts for every chapter we read (aka busy work), I have my first law case due next week as well as a paper for assessment. Neither one will be difficult, it's just finding time to sit down and knock them out. Since I have nothing until my staff meeting tonight at 8:30, I'll probably be doing that soon.

Yesterday I had my first (and hopefully last) real evacuation of my building. We had a room that complained of smelling natural gas, so I got the chance to pull the fire alarm. After about 30 minutes the fire department determined that it was only sewer gas back-up from the cafeteria next to my hall. (DISGUSTING) I had two students who I caught leaving the building about 10 minutes after the alarm was pulled (a boy and girl, the boy was a non-resident visiting the girl). I decided not to write them up, since the hall director on call, David, and myself put the fear of God and fire alarms in them. I don't think either student will fail to evacuate a building again. Ha. ha. Other than that and yet another fire ant bite on my foot, nothing was too eventful.

This Saturday was the Baylor/A&M football game. Since I didn't have any visitors I was able to work the face painting table all morning which was so fun. I LOVE face painting. We typically purchase paints for the opposing team, and since this week was Baylor I took the opportunity to wear a Baylor t-shirt. That's what the photo is from.

While face painting i ran into my friends David and Erin who had an extra ticket to the game. So, when we were finished face painting I joined them in the student section for the first half of the game. I'll be honest, it was a rather boring game. Both teams really stunk. But it was great to go to another football game, and I now have a sunburn on my left arm to prove I went.

This weekend two of my favorite Belmont Alumni/Singer/songwriters are playing a show at Common Grounds in Waco. Andy Davis and Tyler James are going to be playing after the football game. I'm still up in the air about whether or not to go. I very much want to go, I LOVE both those guys, but I have a couple assignments due next week. I'll have to see how much I get accomplished in the next couple of days before deciding.

Today A&M is announcing that we have two confirmed cases of bacterial meningitis in the residence hall across from mine. Pray for those students and their families. Also, if you work with students, get your shots. :)



0 comments: