CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

I'm in love...

. . . with an outstanding book. I have recently been reading Elizabeth Gilbert's book Eat Pray Love. I find myself needing to keep a pen with me when reading because I want to remember lines or paragraphs from the book. I want to share one that is especially powerful to me:

There's a power struggle going on across Europe these days. A few cities are competing against each other to see who shall emerge as the great twenty-first-century European metropolis. Will it be London? Paris? Berlin? Zurich? Maybe Brussels, center of the young union? They all strive to out do one another culturally, architecturally, politically, fiscally. But Rome, it should be said, has not bothered to join the race for status. Rome doesn't compete. Rome just watches all the fussing and striving, completely unfazed, exuding an air like: 'Hey- do whatever you want, but I'm still Rome.' I am inspired by the regal self-assurance of this town, so grounded and rounded, so amused and monumental, knowing that she is held securely in the palm of history. I would like to be like Rome when I am an old lady. (p. 72)

While reading that, before I got to the last line, all I could think is how I want to be like that. When I read the last line, I literally exclaimed "Amen!" alone in my apartment.

I've been thinking about the ideas of self-assurance, classiness, and stability a lot lately.

Recently I went to the JFK Presidential Museum in Boston. I found myself drawn to Jackie Kennedy Onassis. She was such a symbol of classic beauty and elegance. She went through a lot of crazy, chaotic, and traumatic things in her life but remained steady, grounded and timeless.

I have found myself surrounded by a lot of competition, striving and chaos this semester. I've never been one to get caught up in things like that going on around me. Truth is, I know that I have a different purpose and calling. I hope that when it's all said and done, I have been like Rome and Jackie O. I believe that I'm called to have a different approach to life and specifically the job search than those around me. I hope that I am doing that calling justice. That I am allowing God to show Himself through me by remaining grounded and confident, not giving into the chaos around me. I also hope that this is preparation for the rest of life, and that I may remain that way no matter what phase of life I am in. I pray there may never be any doubt who I am, and Whose I am.

----------------
Now playing: CASCADA - Truly Madly Deeply (UK Radio Edit)
via FoxyTunes

0 comments: