CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 21, 2008

So much pride

I have always been proud to be a Belmont Bruin. I had wanted to go to this "music school" since I was a freshman or sophomore in high school. I remember my senior year how distant the dream seemed. The tuition was way out of my price range, and I was one of those students who coasted through high school with at 3.3.- hardly worthy of a scholarship to an academically based institution.

But, things worked out. God stepped in and one change of my parents hearts, on leadership scholarship and $50000 in student loans later, I graduated from Belmont. With two degrees- neither one the Music Business major that initially attracted me to the small gem hidden within the music city. I could have gone to a cheaper school and gotten my degrees after realizing the music industry wasn't for me. But my pride and love the Belmont, kept me there. Tuition raise after tuition raise.

There is so much pride in my heart for that little school on a hilltop- the school that was/is often overshadowed by the school across the street- Vandy. (I can't imagine how poor little David Lipscomb feels at the other end of the blvd.). I was blessed to be a part of a class that got to see a lot of changes take place that have really boosted our little school into the national spot light.

I survived living in Wright Hall when it was surrounded by construction- The Beaman Student Life and Curb Event Centers on one side, and Kennedy Hall (known only as The New Hall then) on the other. I lived in Hillside when they started tearing down portions of Bruin Hills to build Thrailkill Hall. I remember when Homecoming consisted of Fall Follies and Soccer Games, and students didn't have that much buy in. I remember rushing to get to Showcases early because the Massey Performing Arts Center couldn't hold as many people who would be there. And volunteering to help with set up for The Best of the Best at the Ryman so I could attend. I remember when Belmont was completely a baptist school, and the debate over trustees hadn't yet made its way into the student spectrum. I was there the first year the CMT awards were on campus, I remember how irritated I was about being hassled on my way to work and having to wear "credentials" in my own student center.

I went to the first games in the Curb Events Center- when there weren't a lot more people than Vince Gill and his family. I remember watching with pride as we played and lost to Vandy in the days before Justin Hare. I watched the enthusiasm for Belmont Sports grow and with it, the enthusiasm for the school increase. I was so proud to graduate knowing that I had received a stellar education and that as I moved on to graduate school I was much better prepared than many of my peers from other institutions. To top it off, I had relationships with faculty and administrators that I relied on then, and have been blessed to be able to depend upon now. I had given back to my school by being an RA and a class officer. I was able to be a part of the beginning of the senior class scholarship (a tradition I pray continues and grows). I was sad to leave, but couldn't wait to frame and hang my diplomas on my wall. I wore my Belmont Ring with pride, and still do.

Now, almost two complete years later, the pride I had for my institution then seems so minuscule when compared with the pride I feel now. My alma mater has been in the top of similar institutions, and opened beauitful new health science and theater buildings. An alumna rocked the country on American Idol, and a girl who I sang with in a gospel choir and knew as one of her RAs was crowned Miss USA. Bring grace, pose, integrity and humility to the disgraced program.

As if that weren't enough, the school is hosting a presidential debate this year. The students and alumni are constantly being recognized for their work and contributions. One of my favorite faculty members received a state wide teaching award (so deserved!). And our basketball team has steadily, and consistently forced its name into the living rooms of America. My little Belmont lost to Duke by one point, in the last seconds of the game. People who gave me a hard time about my faith in my school, are finally starting to realize Belmont is more than just a music school with famous alumni. They are starting to take note.

All the great things going on are not a surprise to me. I've known there is something special about that school on a hilltop for nearly a decade now. I had no idea what that might come to look like, and never would have imagined that my little Belmont would be in the place it is now. I cannot wait to see what is in store in the future. I am sure that the institutions motto "from here to anywhere" is true not only for its students, but for Belmont as well.


Go Belmont. . . .

0 comments: