CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 21, 2008

Seeing Life through Love. . .


Love languages that is. Having been a psychology major in undergrad, I have always had an interest in personality testing and ways of defining attributes of individuals. One that I enjoy is based on a book by Gary Chapman (see left or click here) titled "The Five Love Languages". While Chapman's orginal work focused on relationships with one's "mate" the idea has since been transfered to many types of relationships.

My love language is Quality Time. This is all about spending time with someone and/or having great conversation with that person. Honestly, unless I have meaningful contact with someone on a daily basis, I feel pretty unloved. (A close second is Words of Affirmation).

I spent a little time today reflecting on the differences between this year and last in comparison to my attitude and overall happiness. While I still am very unhappy here and feel generally disconnected from those around me, there is one major difference. Last year God felt very distant and removed from my life here, but this year He seems much closer.

Last year I allowed myself to lose sight of my calling to be in this place. I allowed myself to focus on the negative and the here and now. Thus, I lost sight of God. After being reminded that this time has a purpose, even though it's not a pleasant experience, I returned with a renewed sense of calling. I have found myself focusing more on the calling and the face of God in this time.

My attitude towards life and my remaining 109 days here has improved because I have focused on quality time with the Lord. As my love language was used, God seems nearer. Things as simple as going to a church that feeds me, and reading the Word, fills my needs.

While this may not be a major revelation to anyone but me, I find it interesting how pervasive love languages are in everything. It reminds me how important it so for me to have relationships where I can have quality time with those people. Whether that be a short phone conversation, or a coffee date, it's so important to my mental health! I hope that as I transition to a new phase of life I remember this lesson, however simple it may be.

2 comments:

Tiffani P said...

Great post, Sarah!

Anonymous said...

Praise God for this revelation in your life :-) In everything there is a purpose and EVERYTHING is for His glory--I find this to be comforting in times of uncertainty. Miss you!